VanderCook College of Music
UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Candidates enrolling in the bachelor’s degree programs need both musical and academic competence to attain the degree. The strengths and background of each applicant are weighed on an individual basis in an effort to determine the candidate’s potential for success. In general, however, preference is given to applicants who fulfill the following requirements:
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official high school transcripts (via certified email or sent to VCM)
- Personal essay or introduction video
- Audition (in-person or online) See “Audition Guidelines” for more information.
- A GED certificate may be submitted in lieu of a high school diploma. Transfer students must also submit an official transcript from the college(s) they have attended.
- A final transcript indicating graduation date and a copy of the high school diploma will be required prior to final admission to and enrollment in the college.
Graduation from an accredited secondary school or its equivalent with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and completion of the following coursework:
- 3 years of English
- 2 years of mathematics
- 3 years of social science
- 2 years of electives in foreign language or art
- 3 years of electives in music, or evidence of successful participation in music ensembles and classes
International applicants (non-native English speakers) must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Please see the International Students page for more information.
Illinois state law requires that students enrolled in colleges and universities be immunized against certain communicable diseases. To ensure compliance, students are required to submit proof of immunization to the Admissions Office. Individuals who are not properly immunized or who do not have proof of immunization should contact their local medical professional to become compliant. If necessary, students may receive the required immunizations on campus from IIT Student Health Services for a nominal fee. A registration hold will be placed on a student’s account if they fail to comply with the immunization requirements.