VanderCook College of Music
GRADUATE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in music education or a minimum of 60 credits in undergraduate music and music education coursework.
- A minimum cumulative college grade point average of 3.0 or higher. (Note: Applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 may still apply but may be required to take the GRE exam in addition to the regular application requirements.)
- A minimum of one year of teaching experience, or its equivalent, in music.
International students (non-native English speakers) must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). For applicants who took the test prior to September 30, 2006, a minimum score of 500 is required on the paper-based test, or 173 on the computer-based test. The internet-based TOEFL test (IBT) measures the areas of reading, listening, writing and speaking. VanderCook requires a minimum score of 90 on the IBT with no subscore under 22. The EIKEN test can be considered in lieu of the TOEFL; VanderCook requires a minimum grade of 2A, and admission is contingent on an interview with the admissions team. (Note: All international applicants who are admitted must submit proof of total financial support before an I-20 will be issued.)
- Submit all official transcripts* indicating graduation from an accredited college or university, as well as any previously completed graduate-level coursework. Applicants who wish to receive credit for graduate courses completed elsewhere should include a written request with their applications. It is strongly recommended that course descriptions accompany these requests.
- Applicants are notified of admissions decisions after all applicant materials are received and complete. (In general, a decision is made within two weeks of receipt of all materials, although delays may occur during semester breaks.)
- VanderCook has a rolling deadline for the graduate program; however, students accepted into the college should submit a tuition deposit of $100 by April 1 as an indication of their intent to enroll. This deposit is non-refundable.
Every Gift Matters…
Gifts to VanderCook come in many forms and sizes and each one truly makes a difference. You may wonder how a small contribution can matter to the college – how it can “make a dent.” Combined with other donor gifts, even a relatively minor contribution can make a major impact.