Teach Music 4 Chicago Program
In keeping with our founder’s philosophy that music education should be available to anyone, VanderCook College of Music is committed to maintaining an affordable, competitive tuition. VCM awards financial assistance to 100% of its full-time undergraduate students and our Financial Aid staff works to maximize aid through scholarships, grants and loans.
Teach Music 4 Chicago Information
The Teach Music 4 Chicago program aspires to provide scholarships to graduating high school students enrolled in a Chicago Public High School so that they can attend VanderCook College of Music and complete a Bachelor of Music Education (BMEd) degree. Those receiving the Teach Music 4 Chicago scholarship must agree to “give back” to Chicago with the expectation of teaching in a Chicago Public School for at least five years after graduation. A student who is accepted into this program will receive a four-year FREE tuition scholarship.
*Tuition will be paid in full after Federal and State grants and/or scholarships are applied (e.g. PELL, MAP, MTI, Golden Apple, etc). Scholarship recipients are responsible for housing expenses and fees normally associated with the cost of attendance.
Eligibility and Criteria for Consideration:
- Applicants must be current high school seniors enrolled in a Chicago public or private high school, entering college in the fall of 2024.
- Candidates must have the desire to pursue a career in music education.
- Candidates must be committed to live and work in the City of Chicago upon graduation.
- Candidates must gain acceptance into the VanderCook Bachelor of Music Education program.
- Candidates must show financial need based on FAFSA information or other family circumstances.
- Candidates must have a genuine passion for teaching, a drive to grow as a musician, and commitment to teaching music within the City of Chicago as demonstrated in a written essay and interview during the application process.
Criteria for Award Continuance:
- Remain in good standing with all departments of the College
- Participate in major ensembles every semester
- Demonstrate leadership, volunteerism, and service to the College
Teach Music 4 Chicago Program Timeline:
- April 1, 2024: Teach Music 4 Chicago Program Final Application and Audition Submission Deadline
- April 15, 2024: Teach Music 4 Chicago recipient announced
- May 1, 2024: Teach Music 4 Chicago Program Decision Day
For more information, contact [email protected].
Every Gift Matters…
Gifts to VanderCook come in many forms and sizes and each one truly makes a difference. You may wonder how a small contribution can matter to the college – how it can “make a dent.” Combined with other donor gifts, even a relatively minor contribution can make a major impact.