Position Available - President
The President of VanderCook College of Music is its Chief Executive Officer responsible for executing the mission of the College. He or she has the authority to manage the institution within the framework of the policies and procedures outlined in the College’s Faculty and Staff Handbook, College Catalog, By-laws, Strategic Plan and its accrediting agencies.
Position Reports to:
Board of Trustees
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, maintain and evaluate the quality of the academic, administrative and support services of the College to create a positive and motivating community fostering creativity, learning, and musicianship;
- Organize, develop and manage the personnel of the College to help each employee develop a vision of themselves as a competent, evolving professional in their area of expertise;
- Manage the College’s finances, including preparation of an annual operating and capital budget as approved by the Board of Trustees;
- Represent VanderCook in the community, at educational conferences, and other public affairs;
- Work in collaboration with the Board of Trustees and other College stakeholders to develop and carry out a comprehensive strategic plan for the College containing mission, vision, goals and objectives, priorities and resources to assure the immediate and long-term viability of the College;
- Maintain and make use of the College’s resources;
- Advance the College through consistent fundraising, advancement and development;
- Participate in the preparation and oversight of all reports required by appropriate local, state, and national interests including but not limited to the Higher Learning Commission, Department of Education, the National Association of Schools of Music, and Illinois State Board of Education;
- Serve as the medium of communication between the faculty and the Board of Trustees which includes making quarterly reports to the Board with respect to the affairs of the College.
- Understanding of principles and practices of higher education organization, program development, and administration;
- Knowledge of the music education field from educational and musical perspectives;
- Deep appreciation for the mission and vision of VanderCook College of Music.
- Significant experience in organizational leadership and development;
- A minimum of a master’s degree in music, higher education administration, or equivalent field. A doctorate is preferred;
- Experience teaching music or music education at any level, K – 16, is preferred.
- The position begins as early as June 1 but no later than August 1, 2024. Benefits include health, dental, vision and matched 401K contributions.
- Salary is commensurate with experience, equivalent to that of a college music executive.
VanderCook College of Music
The mission of VanderCook College of Music is to enrich the lives of present and future generations by developing uniquely skilled music teachers who exhibit strong character, professionalism, and a commitment to excellence. VanderCook is located in the near-south area of Chicago on the Illinois Institute of Technology campus. The College has been preparing leaders in music education for 114 years. Learn more at www.vandercook.edu.
Please email your CV, cover letter, three letters of reference, and up to three work samples showcasing your professional work experience to [email protected]. Please do not send hard copies. Priority deadline is January 15, 2024, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
VanderCook College of Music is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination. All qualified individuals are considered regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, applicable veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.