Spring 2023 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
General Music: There’s Nothing “General” About It!
Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? Yawn-inducing labels like “general music”, “music appreciation”, and “specials” do a huge disservice to the astounding array of topics and activities possible in the modern day junior high classroom! You already bring your own unique strengths, interests, and resources to the classroom, as do your students. This collaborative and practical course will lay the foundation upon which you can create a customized, comprehensive educational experience which resonates with everyone who takes your class.
This course is for anyone who is:
- Looking for new lesson ideas and inspiration
- Unsure of how to tie current activities together into a cohesive curriculum
- Creating a program from scratch
- New to, or considering, teaching middle school music
- Struggling with student engagement
- Tasked with writing curriculum for your school or district
- Breathing 🙂
* This course is offered at two course levels. Students enrolled in the MMEd program at VanderCook are eligible to enroll for the 500 course number. Students not enrolled in the MMEd program who wish to earn graduate credit as a MECA Continuing Education student should register for the four digit course number. The difference in credits earned and tuition cost is attributed to the difference in tuition rates for the MMEd and MECA Continuing Education programs. If you are unsure which section is best for you, please contact us directly at [email protected]
Middle School General Music: The Best Part Of Your Day, Second Edition,
by Elizabeth Ann McAnally
Learning Platform Information - Online Courses Only
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
Soon after you register, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Please see specific software/hardware requirements in the course description.
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).