Summer 2022 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Sound Decisions About Quality Concert Band Literature
The curriculum of every band program is the music. Therefore, selection of music for the highest quality to broaden, refine, and advance developing musicians should be of paramount interest. This asynchronous online course for directors teaching at any level of teaching and will help you to reset your knowledge of the meritorious repertoire at all levels for both programmatic and personal growth. Primary activities will include experiences with the core wind band repertoire included in the Teaching Music Through Performance in Band series, discussions amongst course members share information about additional quality repertoire and creation of a curriculum tailored specifically to the needs of the band program of each course participant. There will be a few schedule Zoom interactions including visits with composers Joni Greene, William Owens and Robert W. Smith. The final class project will to produce an annotated bibliography of pieces identified by class members.
Outcomes for this summer course.
- Students experience and identify some of the finest music composed for wind bands on every level.
- Participants will develop the ability to evaluate music according to criteria of musical merit.
- Participants will share with the class their knowledge of wind band literature.
- Participants will have the opportunity to interact with some quest composers
- Participants will develop familiarity with the Teaching Music Through Performance in Band Series (TMB) and the Teacher Resource Guides as supplementary material for their rehearsals and teaching.
- Participants apply all of the above to the creation of a short list of meritorious repertoire suitable for their individual programs and needs.
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
Soon after you register, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).