Summer 2023 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Smith Walbridge Directors Clinic: A Retrospective
Smith Walbridge Directors Clinic
The Directors Marching Band Clinic is comprehensive and covers a wide variety of topics designed to expand knowledge and skills for band directors of all styles and sizes of ensembles. The curriculum is appropriate for young directors looking for a “grassroots” resource, or for seasoned directors looking for new ideas.
- Date and Location: July 11th-14th on the campus of Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL (in-person only).
- The Directors clinic is taught by active and retired band directors that have accomplished much success in their field. Gary E. Smith heads this clinic with a lifetime of experiences and true know-how.
- Because the Directors Clinic takes place during our first week of SWC Illinois, Directors will be exposed to all aspects of our marching band clinics. Learn fundamentals from our Color Guard, Drumline & Front Ensemble and Section Leader Clinics.
- Cost: $395 (includes all housing, meals, instruction), or $290 (includes instruction and lunch/dinner during clinic duration).
- More info and registration at https://www.swclinics.com/directors
Earn Graduate Credit through VanderCook College of Music
1. Students must attend 12.5 clock hours of lectures/discussions and lab time for one semester hour of credit.
2. Prior to the clinic, students will receive access to Schoology (VanderCook’s LMS) on July 10, 2023, at 12:00 pm (Noon, CT).
3. All materials and uploads must be completed and submitted by Monday, July 31, 2023.
Educators seeking credit must also register with Smith Walbridge. For more information and registration, please visit the Smith Walbridge webpage. MECA pricing does not include any fees associated with Smith Walbridge Directors Clinic.
For additional information, please contact us at: [email protected].
Learning Platform Information - Online Courses Only
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
The evening before your class begins, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Please see specific software/hardware requirements in the course description.
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).