Spring 2023 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Musical Theatre Preparation and Production
Musical Theatre Preparation and Production is designed for music educators who direct their school musical. Musical directors of all levels (elementary, middle school, high school, community theatre) will benefit from this course. This practical course will incorporate a step-by-step guide in planning one’s show.
This course covers the necessary steps needed to direct a successful show, including:
- Selecting your musical
- Creating a budget, fundraising
- The audition process
- The rehearsal process: calendar, acting techniques, music rehearsal
- Set design, costuming and stage makeup
- Parent communication and advertising
- Tech elements including sound and lighting
- Opening night
Discussion questions will be posted weekly for all to share ideas and suggestions related to different topics in musical theatre preparation, navigating speed bumps, and tips for ensuring a successful production.
The final project combines course material from throughout the session so directors will have all the tools needed in a condensed format to present to administration to ‘make your case’ to bring quality musical theatre to your school community.
* This course is offered at two course levels. Students enrolled in the MMEd program at VanderCook are eligible to enroll for the 500 course number. Students not enrolled in the MMEd program who wish to earn graduate credit as a MECA Continuing Education student should register for the four digit course number. The difference in credits earned and tuition cost is attributed to the difference in tuition rates for the MMEd and MECA Continuing Education programs. If you are unsure which section is best for you, please contact us directly at [email protected]
Every participant will need a script or perusal script of the show they are preparing for this course. Please contact the instructor for assistance.
Learning Platform Information - Online Courses Only
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
The evening before your class begins, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Please see specific software/hardware requirements in the course description.
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).