Summer 2021 MECA, Summer 2022 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Music for the World: Developing a World Music Curriculum
This course is designed to help teachers develop a well-rounded, world music curriculum for elementary music students. Teaching world music to children at an early age can cultivate and introduce your students to a new and diverse pallet of sounds, scales, instruments, time signatures, vocal styles, dances, cultures, and musical taste; while simultaneously teaching your students to respect, appreciate and value different cultures.
Marc Evan Diaz has produced 16 world music children’s albums for Fiddlefox music, and has been a featured guest artist, clinician, and teacher nationally. Course participants will research, observe, develop, and demonstrate best practices for implementing international songs and pedagogical techniques. During this course, students will:
- Learn traditional songs, techniques, dances, instruments, and music theory from 16+ countries.
- Develop culturally relevant and culturally responsible world music lesson plans, unit plans, and curriculum.
- Learn and implement 50+ songs from different cultures, in over 10 languages, and representing 20 countries.
- Engage and implement a variety of resources from around the world to help your students experience, appreciate and value a breadth of music and music cultures.
- Create and implement an equitable, responsible and inclusive curriculum using ethnomusicology.
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
Soon after you register, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).