Fall 2021 MECA, Spring 2022 MECA, Summer 2022 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Drumset for the Music Educator
Elementary and secondary general music teachers and ensemble directors interested in basic drumset skills will attain teachable methods in this course and encounter drumset parts in a variety of settings. Whether it be a concert band “movie medley,” a pops orchestra piece, or jazz band, introducing the young drumset player to these new pieces can prove challenging, and it’s a topic not often covered in other methods classes.
This course will cover everything from drumset set-up, equipment choices, tuning to performance of basic beats, and discussion of the different types of notation the drummer will encounter. Yes, you will definitely be able to “rock” a little bit of drumset by the end of the course! No previous drumset experience is needed, but rhythmic reading ability and knowledge of basic drum rudiments are recommended.
- Comprehension of stick grip, drum setup, tuning & mechanics.
- Ability to perform basic drumset rhythms in various styles.
- Familiarity with forms of drumset sheet music, e.g., lead sheets, charts, fully notated pieces.
- Knowledge of equipment choices appropriate for the grade school or high school band.
- Ability to impart basic drumset methods to young students.
- The drumset is the heartbeat of any ensemble, and improvement in rhythm should be a goal for every student, teacher and performer.
Let’s get groovin’!
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
Soon after you register, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).