Summer 2023 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Design, Collaborate, Share: Canva For Music Educators
Canva for Education is a powerful yet easy-to-use graphic design tool that allows educators to create beautiful teaching resources of all kinds, from posters, to presentations and documents, to videos, and much, much more! With more than 250,000 thousand templates, graphics, photos, and videos, Canva for Education is useful for both novices and more experienced graphic designers alike. And the best thing about it is, it’s free! Canva is optimized for Chromebooks and app smashes with Google Workspace, allowing teachers to get creative and use the best features of each tool together. This project-based course will take a deep dive into Canva’s feature set, and provide ample opportunity for designing visual resources that will support your teaching and directly integrate into any teaching and learning environment. While Canva for Education will be the primary application for this course, other apps, such as Google Workspace, as well as other online resources will be explored and used throughout the course. This course is designed for music educators at all grade levels and disciplines.
- This course requires a Schoology account
- Access to a Mac, PC, or Chromebook, connected to the Internet. Basic computer skills are required, such as setting up accounts with a username and password, basic typing skills, uploading and downloading files, and familiarity with using the Internet.
- Canva for Education Account (details to be discussed in Week 1)
- Wakelet account (free)
- Google Workspace and YouTube accounts
- Myriad free cloud-apps and online resources. Details provided in course materials.
Helpful, but optional:
An inexpensive USB microphone, such as:
- M-Audio Uber Mic – https://bhpho.to/3dpVN8z
- Rode NT-USB Mini USB Mic – https://bit.ly/3lZyJ0X
An inexpensive webcam, such as:
- Logitech C615 Webcam – https://bhpho.to/3zujO7h
- Logitech C920s HD Pro Webcam – https://bhpho.to/3NR5p8O
Learning Platform Information - Online Courses Only
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
The evening before your class begins, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Please see specific software/hardware requirements in the course description.
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).