Summer 2023 MECA
Continuing Education Courses
Culturally Responsive SEL in Your Choral/General Music Classroom
This course is not your every day class on social and emotional learning (SEL). Get ready to dive deeper into how our general and choral music classrooms are gateways for both teacher and student to find identity, belonging, and agency. In this class, there will be discussion of topics such as:
- Foundational understanding of social and emotional learning for both the teacher and students
- Elements of culturally responsive teaching specifically for the music classroom and going beyond “diversifying” curriculum
- Teacher positionality and philosophies
- Introduction to transformative social and emotional learning’s effect in music learning
- Approaches to co-creating student-centered material and experiences
The course will consist of reading texts and supplemental material, participating in discussions, engaging in personal reflections, and producing practical and meaningful projects that will challenge you to guide your students to be future change-makers in their communities.
*Students enrolled in the MMEd degree program at VanderCook may register for this course at the 500-level through the student portal. Please contact Dean Sinclair at [email protected] if academic advising is needed.
- Required Text: Culturally Responsive Teaching in Music Education
- Required Text: Portraits of Music Education and Social Emotional Learning
- Recommended Text: Culturally Responsive Choral Music Education
Learning Platform Information - Online Courses Only
Schoology is a learning management system that allows you to interact directly with your instructors, fellow students, and members of the greater VanderCook community.
The evening before your class begins, be on the lookout for an email from Schoology with log-in instructions. Once you receive credentials, visit www.online.vandercook.edu to login.
Some courses have specific online chat meeting times (please see course descriptions), while others have a flexible meeting schedule. You can expect all courses to meet together in a live online chat. If a live meeting time doesn’t work, you can work with your instructor to make other arrangements.
More information about Schoology can be found at www.schoology.com
Please see specific software/hardware requirements in the course description.
Online course grades are available within two weeks of the course(s) completion. If you need a transcript, please CLICK HERE to access the online transcript request form. For a faster turnaround time, please submit the transcript request to the registrar prior to the end of your course(s).