Financial Aid Questions

Questions And Answers

Dependent vs. Independent Status?

Applicants are automatically considered to be dependent students for financial aid purposes (meaning financial aid eligibility will be determined including parent information) unless they meet the federal definition of an independent student.

Students who are not dependent on their parents for financial support are considered independent. Under the federal definition for the 2011-12 academic year, an independent student is an individual who meets one of the following criteria:

  • Is 24 years old
  • Is married (includes separated) as of the date of completion of the FAFSA
  • Is working on a master’s or doctorate program at the beginning of the 2011-12 academic year
  • Is currently serving on the active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for other than training purposes
  • Is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Has children who will receive more than half of their support from student between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012
  • Had no living parent (biological or adoptive) when age 13 or older (even if now adopted); was in foster care when age 13 or older (even if not in foster care now); or, was a dependent/ward of the court when age 13 or older (even if not a dependent/ward of the court now)
  • Is currently an emancipated minor as determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence
  • Is currently in legal guardianship as determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2010, was determined to be an unaccompanied homeless youth by a high school or school district homeless liaison
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2010, was determined to be an unaccompanied homeless youth by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2010, was determined to be either an unaccompanied homeless youth or a self-supporting individual at risk of being homeless by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program

A student who does not meet at least one of the above independent student criteria for the 2011-12 academic year is considered dependent.

back to top

I received a Renewal Reminder from the U.S. Department of Education. What should I do next?

If you receive a Renewal Reminder, it means you are eligible to reapply for financial aid in the new academic year via FAFSA on the Web, and you will have the option of “pre-filling” your application with data you provided for the previous year.  Contact the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend if there are any questions.

back to top

Who gets federal student aid?

Our most basic eligibility requirements are that you must:

  • Demonstrate financial need (for most programs; to learn more, visit
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Register (if you haven’t already) with Selective Service, if you’re a male between the ages of 18 and 25
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in postsecondary school
  • Show you’re qualified to obtain a postsecondary education

back to top

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes.  Most financial aid offices require that you apply for financial aid every year.  If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid.  After your first year you will receive a “Renewal Application” which contains preprinted information from the previous year’s FAFSA. 

Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college.  Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on your making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

back to top

How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other types of need-based aid?

Submit a FAFSA.  To indicate interest in student employment, student loans and parent loans, you should check the appropriate boxes.  Checking these boxes does not commit you to accepting these types of aid.  You will have the opportunity to accept or decline each part of your aid package later.  Leaving these boxes unchecked will not increase the amount of grants you receive.

back to top

If I take a leave of absence, do I have to start repaying my loans?

Not immediately.  The subsidized Stafford loan has a grace period of 6 months before the student must begin repaying the loan.  When you take a leave of absence you will not have to repay your loan until the grace period is used up.  If you use up the grace period, however, when you graduate you will have to begin repaying your loan immediately.

back to top

I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes.  If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from university or government sources, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office.

back to top

Where can I get information about Federal student financial aid?

Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-800-730-8913 (if hearing impaired) and ask for a free copy of The Student Guide: Financial Aid from the US Department of Education.  This toll free hotline is run by the US Department of Education and can answer questions about federal and state student aid programs and applications. 

You can also write to:

Federal Student Aid Information Center
PO Box 84
Washington, DC 20044

back to top

Where can I get a copy of the FAFSA?

By calling 1-800-4-FED-AID.  The online version of the form is available at

back to top

How soon after January 1 should the FAFSA form be sent in? Is it better to wait until the income tax forms have been completed?

Send in the form as soon as possible after January 1.  Do not wait until your taxes are done.  Although it is better to do your taxes early, it is ok to use estimates of your income, so long as they aren’t very far off from the actual values.  You will have an opportunity to correct any errors later.  If you wait too long, you might miss the deadline for state aid.  Most states require the FAFSA to be submitted by March 1, and some even as early as mid-February.

back to top

I sent in my FAFSA over four weeks ago but haven’t heard anything. What should I do?

If you haven’t received a Student Aid Report (SAR), call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (toll free) or 1-319-337-5665.  To find out whether your FAFSA has been processed or to request a duplicate copy of your SAR you must provide them with your Social Security number and date of birth as verification.  You can also write to:

Federal Student Aid Programs
PO Box 4038
Washington, DC 52243-4038

back to top

What if I have unusual circumstances concerning my dependency or financial status? Will this change my EFC?

The formula used to establish a student’s financial aid eligibility is the same for all students; however, in unique situations, the financial aid office may use professional judgment to adjust the formula.  These situations may include such things as job loss, unusual medical expenses, or abuse.  If you believe that you have a unique situation, please contact financial aid for further guidance.

back to top

What happens when I have a credit balance from financial aid?

You will be notified by our Business Office regarding any credit balances on your account. Please see the Credit Balance and Refund page for information on policy and procedures for credit balances.

back to top

How can I determine if I am making Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Satisfactory Academic Progress is calculated at the end of each term. Each degree level has its own criteria of Satisfactory Academic Progress components. Please see Satisfactory Academic Progress page for more information.

back to top

What happens to my Title IV funds if I withdraw during the semester?

The school will determine the amount of aid you have earned based on your withdrawal date and credit your account accordingly. This process is called the Federal Return of Title IV (R2T4) policy. Please see the Federal Refund Policy Return of Title IV (R2T4) at the bottom of this page of our website for more detailed information.

back to top

Can't find what you are looking for?

Web site design and development by
© 2011-2012 VanderCook College of Music. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use|Site Map