VanderCook College of Music has been a part of the Midwest Clinic since the very beginning!
The Midwest Clinic began on December 7, 1946 at a YMCA gym on the west side of Chicago. 120 or so directors were on hand for a six -hour clinic and new music reading session. VanderCook College of Music, through the work of H.E. Nutt, was one of the founders of this clinic. Along with Howard Lyons and Neil Kjos Sr., H.E. Nutt, secretary of VanderCook and later President, pioneered the idea of a clinic and exposition for music educators. Over the years the Midwest Clinic has grown to be the most recognized instrumental music clinic in the world, attracting well over 12,000 directors each year. Only the finest ensembles are selected to perform at the Midwest Clinic. The VanderCook College of Music Symphonic Band is the only ensemble in the history of the clinic to perform every year. In addition to performing at the clinic, the students of VanderCook serve as the “go to” clinic staff, lovingly know as the “blue vests”.
A historical look at the Midwest Clinic by Victor Zajec.
2016 Midwest Clinic
70th Annual Conference
McCormick Place West
December 14-17, 2016